Sunday, March 23, 2014

From filly to lifelong friend

It is astounding to me that it has been over a year since I first saw my precious wide-eyed and wobbly-legged Siren leap out of the trailer to greet me for the first time. In hindsight, I had very little idea as to what to expect when raising a horse. I did expect the countless hours of training and hard work. But I never quite expected the hours of joy that this experience has sent my way. Every horse has something to offer and with ease, can place a smile on my face. But there is something special about a baby. Siren was seeing the world for the first time. Seeing her curiosity and reactions is something you don't get to see with a "been there, done that" type of horse. Being so young, and occasionally uneasy about the big world before her, she searched for someone to lean on and love. And I suppose, I was too. We seemed to immediately form a connection. In the amount of time that we have been together, we have spent hours cuddling and simply enjoying each other's company. We've grown together. We have learned from each other and have built an impenetrable bond. I could simply not imagine my life without the excited, high-pitched whinny that I receive every time I walk into the barn. 

Today, I noticed that Siren, while she was starting to look level, is now once again, butt-high. Since horses grow first at the hip, and then catch up with the front, this means that she is once again going through a growth spurt. She is standing at about 15hh right now. It still shocks me to see her looking like a horse when it seems like just yesterday that she was barely able to peek over the top of her stall door. She also had a visit from the farrier today. She stood incredibly well for him today! She fussed a little bit, but overall, was a very well behaved little filly! She is mentally growing up as well. It makes me a bit saddened to see that she is no longer the little 6 month old that she once was. But I also feel fortunate to be in the presence of such a grown up and beautiful horse. I am glad to have been able to enjoy this journey so far and am so pleased to see that she is a very well behaved and sweet horse. As I see her grow and progress with training, I eagerly look look forward to out next big steps such as riding! 



No comments:

Post a Comment