Sunday, March 23, 2014

A time of sadness


The past few days have brought about some sad news. Another recipient of a Sutton Ranch weanling, who partook in the program at the same time as me, lost her colt due to a misfortunate pasture accident that left him with a broken leg. In addition, a friend of mine who I have shown against for quite some time now, lost his horse yesterday due to a broken leg that occurred while they were running the poles pattern at a show. The news of these losses leaves me heartbroken for these wonderful people. There are special thoughts going out to both of these people and anyone else who ever has to suffer the loss of someone special in their life.  I know that both of these horses were loved to the end of the earth and back.
I too have had to make the decision to put down a horse with a broken leg. My first horse Valentine was the most amazing horse I could have possibly asked for. She provided me with so much confidence, knowledge and overall experience with owning a horse.
 I know that is not an easy thing to go through, losing someone that you love. All we can do is enjoy every minute we have with everyone we love. Human or animal. We only get so many minutes with them so we need to make them all count. Never leave them angry. Never pass up the opportunity to express your love to someone. My dad has always told me "run like it's your last run ever". These are some words to live by, for as grim as it may sound, we will never know what tomorrow holds, today might be all we get, so make it count.
Valentine

No comments:

Post a Comment